Release Day 2022.5.2
today isRelease Day!
Yep, sounds strange but: it’s release day!
Following our intervention at the Linux App Summit 2022, we tried to get things moving in the GNOME Circle and we received a lot of great feedbacks on our application issue we wanted to focus immediately on fixing what needed to be fixed and update our UI to be respectful of the Circle requirements.
This update improves first user’s experience adding guidance to the main steps of Bottles’ usage and removes “noise” that could cause distraction and confusion on the tasks.
Of course we didn’t forget some “not related” bugfix!
We changed… a lot. It’s screenshot time!
The user interface received, again, a complete review.
The text input for a new bottle is now more accessible:
It’s now clear what you should do the first time you create a bottle:
The bottle control buttons have been cleared once again:
New tips have been added to Dependencies and Installers view:
The importer has been completely redesigned and is now self explanatory:
Animations are now, almost, aligned to GNOME standard:
Fixed an important issue on the Desktop Entries generation caused by the bottles-cli
There are many other changes and improvements in this release. Below are some noteworthy ones, for all others, please refer to the GitHub organization.
- General improvements to respect GNOME Circle requirements
- More consistency of buttons/menus position
- Improve Onboarding process
- Auto-focus in bottle’s name field when creating a new bottle
- New bottle’s name field now uses default style
- New bottle create button is now always visible but disabled (not sensitive) if not usable
- Improve end of bottle creation modal
- Suggest how to install first program in new bottle
- Explain what to do in each page
- Explain what to do the first time you open a bottle
- Bottle renaming is now in preferences view
- Explain what compatibility grades are
- Add missing dots to sentences
- Fit title case
- Align animations to most GNOME apps
- Fixed desktop entries, bottles-cli was using Name instead of Path (Thanks to @emiltang)
- French translations thanks to @julroy67
- Persian traslations thanks to @pikhosh, @Gnkalk
- Portuguese (Brazil) translations thanks to @FHEK789, @vitorhcl
- German translations thanks to @Maxopoly
- Spanish translations thanks to @uanretamales
- Swedish translations thanks to @bittin
- Russian translations thanks to @Knebergish
- Czech translations thanks to @vikdevelop
- Chinese (traditional) translations thanks to @Adrian400811
- Malay translations thanks to @amiruldevkun
- Fix grammar issues thanks to @purpleidea
One more thing
The GNOME Foundation accepted us as members of the Foundation! ✨ We are really excited thinking about what we can and would like to do. Looking forward to make more and more contributions!
Thanks to all users who contributed to this release and to GNOME Foundation for this opportunity!
~ Bottles’ developers