Release Day 2022.8.14
today isRelease Day!
It’s Release Day again!
Two more weeks of work have been done and it’s time to celebrate another release day!
This release brings two major additions, some performance improvements and bug fixes.
Ok now let’s get to the point. What’s new in this version?
Bottles introduces vmtouch support, also known as Virtual Memory Toucher. vmtouch is a caching utility that lends us resources to diagnose and control cache. With that in mind, you can manually enable vmtouch to improve performance!
New vkBasalt Dialog
Bottles introduces a new dialog to configure vkBasalt! vkBasalt is a post-processing layer that lets us add multiple effects and layers to modify how games are rendered on Vulkan. However, many of its features were inaccessible, and are quite difficult to understand. We put a lot of time to explain these features are.
Per-bottle vkBasalt Configurations
Not only that, we also improved vkBasalt integration by letting users modify vkBasalt configurations per-bottle. This means that each bottle can now have a separate vkBasalt configuration!
If you are using a customized vkBasalt configuration, you can migrate by moving
If you are using a custom bottle path, then it should be in
The Return of The Dark Knight (aka Dark Mode switcher)
Several releases ago we removed the Dark Mode switcher, this is because we adopted the freedesktop standard supported by GNOME and KDE, which allows us to respect the system theme.
Unfortunately many distributions have not yet received the implementation and some desktops do not meet this standard. We have therefore re-introduced the Dark Mode switcher, so that the user can force the dark theme when it does not respect the system choice.
All other changes
There are many other changes and improvements in this release. Below are some noteworthy ones, for all others, please refer to the GitHub organization.
- New vkBasalt settings, thanks to @TheEvilSkeleton
- Support for vmtouch caching, thanks to @axtloss
- New dark mode switch as fallback for distributions not supporting the freedesktop Dark Mode
- Prevent programs from launching when clicking on the entry instead of the play button
- Windows can now be closed by pressing Escape
- The Library view now supports program settings overrides
- “Add to Steam” and “Add Desktop Entry” now supports integrations (Epic, Ubisoft, etc.)
- The bottles-cli “programs” option now list programs from integrations as well
- Gamescope is now compatible with FSR
- Minor UI improvements
- Fix missing translations, thanks to @A6GibKm
- Fix a bug in “Add to Steam”, was not supporting ~/.steam
- Fix a regression on renaming programs, this was causing duplicated entries
- Fix a bug in the internal-sandbox, wine symlinks were not unlinked if the username had special characters
- Fix a bug in generating desktop entries for programs with spaces in their names
- Fix a bug in the copy_dll dependency action, wildcards were not handled correctly, thanks to @siroccal
- Fix a bug in loading gstreamer libraries, were not respecting the bottle architecture
- Fix a regression in library mode, adding a new program was causing a loop when the bottle name and path mismatched
- Estonian translations thanks to @tenseoverflow
- Italian translations thanks to @albanobattistella, Kryotek
- Russian translations thanks to Corvurius, @Knebergish
- Finnish translations thanks to Jiri Grönroos
- Portuguese (Brazil) translations thanks to @davipatricio
- Korean translations thanks to @qogusdn1017
- Chinese (Simplified)) translations thanks to Eric
- Czech translations thanks to @vikdevelop
- Polish translations thanks to @Mikutut
- Catalan translations thanks to @rogervc
- French translations thanks to @julroy67, Paul Forti
- Dutch translations thanks to @flipflop97
- Chinese (Traditional) translations thanks to @kisaragi-hiu
- Arabic translations thanks to @vxvxvcc
- German translations thanks to Michael Banditt
- Spanish translations thanks to @oscfdezdz, Sergio Varela
- Turkish translations thanks to @omerfaruk-cakmak
- Hungarian translations thanks to @zoli111
- Tamil translations thanks to @kbdharun
- Croatian translations thanks to @milotype
- Thai translations thanks to @SashaPGT