Release day 2021.10.28
today isRelease Day!
Another great day, when come release day!
In the past few weeks we have worked hard, focusing on three main objectives: stability, compatibility and community!
This is one of the most important release of… ok I often say this but I am always excited for this day 😅.
Ok now let’s get to the point. What’s new in this version?
With this release we have started using an internal notifications system, with which we can notify you of updates, tricks and much more! A simple and not at all invasive method of staying close to our community which is growing more and more and very quickly. Thanks 🙏!
After reading a notification, you can delete it so that it never comes back.
There are multiple notifications types, which are:
- per release (so it will be displayed only to users with the same release)
- on first launch
So after this update, the next time you open the app, you will see a new notification. Let us know what you think about this feature in our GitHub repository!
“Sandbox” for everyone
In the previus version we have expanded the sandbox for Flatpak users, also bringing the userdir of the prefixes inside the bottle, thus eliminating the symlinks to the user’s homedir.
Now on request we have also brought this functionality to all other non-Flatpak users. Now it is in fact possible to enable the sandbox directly to the creation of the bottle (for now only with the Custom environment).
To be clear, this isn’t a true sandbox. This is not to link the prefix userdir to the system user’s homedir, so the files will be saved in the prefix itself. We currently offer a true sandbox only to Flatpak users and we highly recommend everyone to use this format if they want a full-sandbox experience.
We have also improved the general performance of Bottles, rewriting how components are handled and displayed in the UI. There are also a large number of bugfixes and improvements on async operations and http requests, these are now cached on first call, so you don’t have to wait for them to be loaded again next time. We think you will notice these improvements.
New components and installers
We have also updated our official Vaniglia runner to the
6.20 version, a very
important version that brings many improvements, a special thanks to the Wine
team for their great work.
There are also new installers for the following programs:
- GOG Galaxy
Installers are still in development, so please be patient and test at your own risk.
Continuing to talk about installers, there is also something new on this front. Now it is possible to read the review of an installer directly from Bottles!
Because each of our installers are tested and reviewed by the maintainer who has to answer a simple but detailed questionnaire. This is saved as a review, so that the user can know for sure what experience they will have once they have installed a program with one of our installers.
See here the installers guidelines for more information.
All other changes
There are a lot of other changes and improvements in this release. Below are other noteworthy ones, for all the others, refer to the GiHub organization.
- Support for AMD FSR (FidelityFX Super Resolution)
- Now there is an internal Notifications manager, so we can keep in touch with the community!
- Implement DataManager to store and manage internal data
- Migrate components to the new ComponentEntry widget
- Dependencies catalog is now sorted alphabetically
- Now it is possible to read the installer review
- Now all HTTP requests are cached after the first time
- Support for QTerminal and LXTerminal
- Allow also other packages to use the sandboxed userdir in bottles (currenty thi is not a full sandbox, just the userdir is not linked to the homedir)
- General UI Cleanups (thanks to @BrainBlasted)
- Fixed a regression in Wayland support
- Fixed a bug in environment variables storing
- Fixed the wrong dxvk_nvapi flag in bottle configuration
- Fixed a bug with Proton component installation
- Fixed a bug that was causing the Versioning system executing methods in the main thread in a non safe way
- Fixed “Directory not empty” bug on bottle deletion
- Fixed “‘bool’ object is not callable” bug on component installation failure
- Fixed mispelling in translations (thanks to @Martinligabue, @comradekingu)
- Finnish translations thanks to Jiri Grönroos
- Hindi translations thanks to @ExistingProgrammer, @gauthamkrishna9991
- Croatian translations thanks to @milotype
- Japanese translations thanks to @jatin-cbs
- Portuguese (Brazil) translations thanks to @davipatricio
Thanks to all users who contributed to this release!
~ Bottles’ Developers